What is Personal Injury Law in Mid-Missouri?
If you were recently wrongfully injured, you may have the right to claim a personal injury lawsuit. What is considered personal injury you ask? Car accidents, medical malpractice, wrongful death, dog attacks, product liability and work-related injuries all fall under the umbrella of personal injury in Jefferson City, Mo. In legal terms, personal injury can be defined as, “legal disputes that arise when one person suffers harm from an accident or injury and someone else might be legally responsible for that harm.”
Branches Of Personal Injury In Jefferson City, Mo & The Terms To Know
Due to this area of law being large and complex, understanding the key terms associated with personal injury and your specific injury may help you to better understand the legal process associated with personal injury cases. Continue reading to explore common personal injury law terms, then give our experienced mid-Mo lawyers a call for more information!
Car and Auto Accidents in Jefferson City, Mo
Did you know 20 to 50 million are injured in car accidents each year? If you recently were involved in a car accident in Missouri call a mid-Mo attorney, for more information on how you can obtain compensation for your injuries! Not sure if you have a personal injury case? Explore our key personal injury terms for a better understanding.
- If the accident was caused due to a party’s inability to obey traffic laws or driving recklessly, they are considered to be negligent.
- The person responsible for the injuries or damages is considered liable. In auto accidents, this can mean failing to stop at a red light and rear-ending the car in front of you. A person can be liable for the car’s damages and the injuries of the driver or passengers of the car.
Product Liability Injuries in Jefferson City, Mo
In simple terms, if a consumer is injured by a product it may be classified as product liability. In an attempt to hold the manufacturer or seller accountable, attorneys have established three types of product liability: design defects, manufacturing defects, and marketing defects.
- A defect present in the product before manufacturing due to an aspect of the design being unsafe.
- Defects occurring throughout the manufacturing process or assembly of the product.
- Improper marketing such as inadequate labeling, instructions, or safety warnings, can lead to injuries.
If you were recently injured due to poor instructions or a product malfunction contact a personal injury attorney in Jefferson City, Mo. Our experienced attorneys can help you learn more about your consumer rights.
Medical Malpractice, Wrongful Death and Work-Related Injuries in Jefferson City, Mo
Three more complex areas of personal injury include medical malpractice, wrongful death and worker’s compensation. If you are unsure about the compensation you should receive after an injury has occurred in the workplace or occurred due to the lack of care in a hospital, call an attorney immediately!
- A doctor or hospital’s failure to meet the proper care and requirements required of them. It can be difficult to prove without an experienced legal attorney on your side!
- Usually filed by the family of the deceased, a wrongful death claim is a lawsuit filed against someone who acted intentionally or negligently to cause a death.
- State system that offers compensation for work-related injuries to the employer injured or family of the employer (if death occurs).
Our team has had a wide variety of experience and successful cases throughout Missouri. We will fight for you to earn the compensation you deserve, whether it be through insurance or other opportunities. Give us a call today, we would love to learn more about your case.
Common Legal Terms to Know Before Meeting With a Personal Injury Attorney in Mid-Missouri
No matter if you are facing injuries due to a car accident, slip and fall, or dog bite in mid-Missouri, be sure to understand the general terms associated with personal injury law.
- Under the U.S. Constitution, all citizens have a right to fair treatment. When these rights are impeded upon, you may have the ability to file a lawsuit against the opposing party.
- In a personal injury case, claim is the official complaint a person makes against another person or company that physically or mentally harmed them.
- It does not have to be monetary, but in a personal injury case compensation makes up for what was lost due to injury. Unlike damages, compensation attempts to place the plaintiff back into a position as if the injury had never occurred.
- Payment for the injury or loss caused by the defendant. Usually monetary, but it is not as much as compensation may be.
- The opposing party, person or company, that the plaintiff is filing a lawsuit against.
- The act of filing a lawsuit.
- In personal injury cases, negligence is carelessness or actions that fall beneath the level of care established by law.
- The person bringing about the lawsuit.
- Not all personal injury cases go to trial. Some cases end with a settlement, an agreement between the plaintiff and the defendant.
Statute of Limitations
- The amount of time the plaintiff has to file a lawsuit following an injury. In Missouri, the statute of limitations varies with injury, wrongful death and worker’s compensation. To ensure your case is heard, call an attorney immediately after an injury.
Due to the variety of personal injury cases and complexities that may arise with the different factors of each case, hiring a lawyer that understands the process is crucial to your success. The attorneys at Bandré Hunt & Snider have extensive experience in a wide variety of personal injury cases and will work with you one-on-one to ensure you get the best care possible. Whether you or a loved one has recently been injured, call our expert attorneys in Jefferson City, Mo today!
The content given is to be used for informational purposes only. This blog or website content is not legal advice and does not signify an agreement Bandré, Hunt & Snider will be able to represent you in the future.