I Was In A Car Accident, But My Injuries Are Minor. Do I Still Have A Personal Injury Case?

wrecked car

After a minor car accident, you might have walked away without any serious injuries, but aches and pains could still linger. Even the smallest fender bender could result in bruises and abrasions that can cause life-disrupting pain, even weeks or months after the accident occurred. With injuries like these, you might be asking yourself, “Are my injuries serious enough to justify hiring a personal injury lawyer?” 

What Is Considered A Minor Injury As A Result Of A Car Accident In Jefferson City, Mo?

Minor injuries as a result of a car or motorcycle accident can be difficult to identify. Missouri’s Title XXXVI Statutory Actions and Torts defines that catastrophic injuries can include paralysis, loss of limbs, loss of sight, a brain injury that results in permanent damage, or irreversible failure of a major organ system.

Minor injuries from a car accident can include the following: 

  • Whiplash
  • Bruising
  • Neck or back injuries
  • Muscle strain
  • Concussion
  • Sprains
  • Broken bones

A minor injury might not alter the course of your life forever, but it can cause pain and suffering for extended periods. Pain and suffering is defined as the disfigurement, emotional trauma, extended physical discomfort, and loss of normal life-enhancing capacities that you experienced before a car accident. 20-50% of those in a non-catastrophic auto accident will report whiplash-related interference in daily life, even 12 months after a car accident. Personal injuries like whiplash or concussions should be taken seriously and should be treated by a doctor.

Please note that this list of minor injuries is not exclusive. If you have suffered an injury after an auto accident, please consult a physician and contact a qualified personal injury attorney to see if you have a case.

When Should I Contact a Personal Injury Attorney in Jefferson City, Mo?

Immediately after a car accident, make sure that you do not have any serious injuries. This type of injury could prevent you from leaving the car. Confirm that any passengers in your vehicle are also well enough to exit. If you are able, move your car to the side of the road and away from any traffic. Once you are safe, contact the police and exchange insurance information with the other individuals involved in the accident. Do not discuss any further details of the incident with the other individuals involved in the car or motorcycle accident. Document the scene of the accident by taking photos of your vehicle, any other vehicles that were involved in the car crash, the road conditions, and any visible injuries you or your passengers have suffered. 

Once the authorities arrive and write their report, make sure that you have accurate contact details and insurance information for the individuals involved in the car accident. Do not leave the scene until the police have instructed you to do so.

I didn’t need an ambulance after a car crash. Should I still see a doctor?

If you did not require medical assistance at the scene of an accident, you should still make an appointment with a doctor. They will be able to treat any injuries that were apparent immediately after the car accident. A doctor could also discover injuries that presented themselves after the adrenaline of the accident had worn off. These injuries could include a concussion, whiplash, or any kind of soft tissue injury.

If a doctor diagnoses any kind of personal injury after you have been involved in a car accident, you should consider calling a personal injury lawyer in the Mid-Missouri area. The accident representatives at Bandré, Hunt & Snider will be able to help you figure out if you have a personal injury claim.

Call The Experienced Jefferson City, Mo Personal Injury Attorneys At Bandré, Hunt & Snider

The personal injury attorneys at Bandré, Hunt & Snider in Jefferson City, Mo have helped Mid-Missouri residents achieve successful results in personal injury cases resulting from a car accident. Our experienced lawyers care deeply about the wellness of our clients. If you or a loved one has suffered minor injuries from a car accident, please reach out to the team at Bandré, Hunt & Snider. 

Were you in a minor auto accident and only suffered minor injuries? You may have a personal injury claim. The experienced attorneys at Bandré, Hunt & Snider in Jefferson City, Mo can help.